Tuesday 13 August 2013

Home Made Beauty Products


Part of my life-goals is to be more self-sufficient, reduce the amount of stuff I buy and to reduce chemicals in my home. A few years ago, I made a pledge to buy only 'natural' beauty products, and switched over to Sukin Organics

Let me tell you, they are pretty good. I had the face wash, moisturiser, shampoo and conditioner, Rose Hip Oil, Face Mist, Spray on deodorant. I loved everything that I tried. However, its not exactly frugal and it still contained a few ingredients with long un-pronounceable names. So a few months ago, I decided that once I was out of a product, I would not buy more, I'd just replace it with a homemade, natural product.

Therefore, my goal for the weekend just gone was to set about making myself some home-made, chemical free, all natural Beauty Products. I visited Handmade Naturals by Corinne in West End, Brisbane to stock up on ingredients. Its a bit of a distance to travel from my Small Town, but WOW is it worth it. I spent $90 and I have 6 months to 1 years worth of ingredients.


The first thing I needed was Shampoo and Conditioner. I've been experimenting with Bicarb Shampoo and Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Conditioner. However my hair is very curly and prone to frizz. So it often ended up pretty dry and 'static-y'. Also, I've read several articles floating around on the internet about how important it is to maintain the natural pH of your hair and not force it up and down with shampoo and then conditioner. I found this recipe over at Thank Your Body  and I love it!

I've changed the recipe a little for MY hair (curly/ dry/ shoulder length)

pH Balanced Shampoo Recipe

3/4 Cup of Coconut Milk
1 Cup Pure Aloe Vera Gel
1 teaspoon of Vitamin E Oil
essential oils (optional- I used lavender because I wash my hair before bed and I only used 3 drops)

Add everything to a bowl and whisk together to combine. Pour mixture into ice-cube trays and allow to set in freezer. Once frozen transfer ice-cube shampoos into a container and store in freezer. 


The reason it needs to be kept in the freezer is because the shelf life is only about 1 week. This batch makes between 3-6 months worth, depending on how often you wash your hair and how much you use. I use about half a ice-cube and wash my hair 1-2 times a week. I've only used it once, but my hair is MUCH nicer than the bicarb/ACV mix. it already feels softer and more moisturised. I didn't

even need to bother with conditioner!

My Verdict: I LOVE THIS SHAMPOO!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment